The status of the East Timor issue is still a complex one and the involvement of all sides can rapidly influence the solution process of the issue,either internationally,nationally, socially, politically and psychologically.
In connection with the Nobel Peace Prize which was awarded to two Timorese,viz : Mgr. Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo,SDB and Dr.Jose Ramos Horta dated on December 10,1996 at Oslo.
The Timorese people also celebrated the Nobel Peace Prize Day in Dili when we welcomed our beloved Bishop Belo back on December 24 1996. This showed that the East Timorese really look forward to having freedom, peace and no violence in their country.
It is a fact that the Indonesian government through their armed forces ABRI kidnap,torture,oppress, murder and arrest the citizens of East Timor and destroy their houses specially at night. Here is a chronology of various oppressions:
1. On January 7 to 11,1997 Armed Forces (ABRI) together with their supportive youth groups (Intelligence, Pro-Integration youth or "GARDAPAKSI",and any other Pro Integration Organisations)launched attacks at night in the Santa Cruz village.
A young person was wounded with fire arms,and five other youths were arrested,namely; Lino Barreiros,Antonio Ribeiro dos Santos,Ijolino da Cruz,Francisco da Silva and Jorge Miguel (the one that was wounded).
2. On January 9,1997,the Armed Forces (ABRI) and their youth supporters launched an action. They fired at the young Timorese people and a Timorese youth was killed and two others were arrested. Other Timorese young people are still being hunted by ABRI.
3. On January 7,1997,the Armed Forces (ABRI) rearrested an ex- political prisoner (member of TAPOL) who had just been released from the LP prison at Becora,on April 10,1996 last year,namely; Eduardo Leonardo Guterres,in Audian Dili.
Because of this unjust action which compromises the dignity and prestige of the Timorese society we, Students (of University and Senior High School) and all the young Timorese People, are extremely anxious and make our Attitude Statement as follows:
1. We realise that the Nobel Prize for Peace which was awarded to Mgr.Carlos F.Ximenes Belo,SDB and Dr.Jose Ramos Horta, is aimed at creating peace in East Timor, but the Indonesian Armed Forces (ABRI) has violated the peace by oppressing the Timorese society, causing it to suffer more and more and harming many innocent victims.
2. We insist on the INTERNATIONAL WORLD,VIZ:
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL YOUTH ORGANISATIONS, THE COMMITTEE OF THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE, THE EUROPEAN UNION, THE SECURITY COUNCIL OF THE UNITED NATIONS,THE INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE OF THE RED CROSS,THE COMMITTEE OR HUMAN RIGHTS,THE PORTUGUESE GOVERNMENT,THE GENERAL SECRETARY OF UNO IN NEW YORK,THE PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN,THE PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES,THE PRIME MINISTER OF GERMANY,THE PRESIDENT OF GUINEA BISSAU,THE PRESIDENT OF MOZAMBIQUE, THE PRESIDENT OF BRAZIL,THE PRESIDENT OF ANGOLA,THE PRESIDENT OF SOUTH AFRICA,THE PRIME MINISTER OF CANADA,THE PRESIDENT OF CABO VERDE REPUBLIC,THE PRIME MINISTER OF AUSTRALIA, ALL NATIONS THAT SPEAK PORTUGUESE,THE HEAD OF TIMORESE ORGANISATIONS IN LISBON,(PORTUGAL), THE HEAD OF TIMORESE ORGANISATIONS IN AUSTRALIA,THE WINNER OF THE NOBEL PRIZE FOR PEACE 1996 (DR.JOSE RAMOS HORTA), HIS EXCELLENCY POPE JOHN PAUL II IN THE VATICAN,AND ALL EMBASSIES THAT HAVE DUTIES IN INDONESIA TO GIVE PROTECTION TO EAST TIMORESE RIGHTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
3. We insist on the Indonesian Government setting all political prisoners free in East Timor particularly "CAIRALA XANANA GUSMAO" in order to take part in international forums to hasten the solution of East Timor issues.
4. We insist on the Indonesian Government cancelling the law on the integration of East Timor into the Republic of Indonesia (No.7,1976) because this was done by a very small group that never became the representatives of all the Timorese people. Also this law is not acknowledged by the United Nations,because the United Nation (UNO)law No.145/141 said that the integration is not legal.
5. We insist on the United Nations arranging a "REFERENDUM ON SELF-DETERMINATION" in East Timor as the best solution for peace in East Timor.
6. We acknowledge the United Nations law No.137/130 which says that East Timor is still a colonial province of Portugal.
7. We acknowledge that East Timor University is a symbol of East Timor unity supported by various factions of society.
This is our attitude statement, as students and Timorese youth, to the world and all competent groups who have a role in the process of the solution of the East Timor issue in the international forum.
Thanks a lot for your solidarity and support for East Timorese suffering.
Signed by 40 Timorese youths.
(original letter and signatures available for viewing)
ETISC -East Timor International Support Center
PO Box 651 N'cliff, Darwin Australia 0814